If you`re looking to kickstart your career in the legal industry, Birmingham is a great place to start. The city has a thriving legal sector, with many law firms offering training contracts to aspiring solicitors. In this article, we`ll explore what training contracts are, how to apply for them, and what firms in Birmingham are currently recruiting for 2021.
What is a training contract?
A training contract is a period of practical training for law graduates who wish to become solicitors. It typically lasts for two years, during which time trainees work alongside experienced solicitors and gain practical experience across different areas of law. Trainees also undertake professional skills courses and must pass a series of assessments to qualify as solicitors.
How to apply for training contracts in Birmingham
To apply for a training contract, you`ll need to have completed a qualifying law degree or converted certificate in law. You`ll also need to have passed the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or be due to complete it before the start of your training contract.
Most law firms in Birmingham recruit trainees on a rolling basis, with applications typically opening in the autumn for start dates the following year. Many firms also attend law fairs and host recruitment events, so it`s worth keeping an eye out for these opportunities.
What firms are recruiting for training contracts in Birmingham in 2021?
Here are some of the law firms currently recruiting for training contracts in Birmingham in 2021:
1. Pinsent Masons – a multinational law firm with offices in Birmingham, Pinsent Masons is seeking trainees to start in 2023. Applications close on 31 July 2021.
2. Shoosmiths – a full-service national law firm, Shoosmiths is looking for trainees to start in 2022. Applications close on 31 July 2021.
3. DLA Piper – one of the world`s largest law firms, DLA Piper has a Birmingham office that is recruiting trainees to start in 2023. Applications close on 31 July 2021.
4. Gowling WLG – a global law firm with a Birmingham office, Gowling WLG is seeking trainees to start in 2023. Applications close on 31 July 2021.
5. Mills & Reeve – a top 50 UK law firm, Mills & Reeve is looking for trainees to start in 2023. Applications close on 31 July 2021.
Birmingham is a great city to launch your legal career, with many top law firms offering training contracts to aspiring solicitors. If you`re interested in pursuing a career in law, make sure you research firms in the city and keep an eye out for recruitment events and opportunities. With hard work and dedication, you could be on your way to a successful career as a solicitor in Birmingham.